InDemand Interpreting is Fostering Healthcare
According to U.S. Census data the limited English proficient (LEP) population grew 80 percent from 1990-2013. Healthcare organizations are required by both federal and state laws to provide language access to these patients.
Today, the number of non-English speaking people in the United States is 57 million, about 20% of the population. Non-English speaking patients receive fewer preventative services and have less access to care than English speaking populations. Most lack basic health insurance and a regular source of care.
- 322 languages are spoken in the U.S., ranging alphabetically from Abnaki to Zuni
- Top 10 most common languages spoken in the U.S. (in order): English, Spanish, French, Chinese, German, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Korean, Italian, and Russian
- 24 languages were reported in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, 69 languages were reported in at least 40 states (including D.C.), and 105 languages were reported in at least 20 states (including D.C.)
- 26 states reported more than 100 languages spoken within their borders, including 22 that exceeded 110 languages and 15 that exceeded 120 languages
- Counties that have 100 or more languages spoken: Los Angeles County, California (135), King County, Washington (118), Maricopa County, Arizona (110), San Diego County, California (110), Cook County, Illinois (109), Queens County, New York (105), Santa Clara County, California (104), Alameda County, California (101), and Orange County, California (100)
InDemand Clarity-Connect enables health systems to bring live, medically qualified interpreters into telehealth using Vidyo. InDemand’s Clarity Widget is designed specifically for healthcare professionals and patients, enabling clinicians to access medically qualified interpreters from their own devices or through a custom Video Remote Interpreting Device(VRI).
Better communication between your patients and clinicians supports better outcomes.
For more information, contact your account manager at IDSolutions.
Patrick Doran | Healthcare Account Manager | IDSolutions, Inc.
317.770.3500 ext. 3513 Office | 317.900.6022 Cell